HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT PORTABLE POWER STATION
Power stations have evolved tremendously over the years. Initially, they were just large, straightforward power banks that you could connect devices into to get juice from. But now they come with a boatload of utility with all types of USB ports, solar panel inputs, wireless charging, and other features.
In uncertain times, we aim to achieve energy independence by reducing our reliance on large utility infrastructures. Thanks to improvements in battery technology and semiconductors used to harness the high power source, it is now possible to control these situations. Since the initial prototypes were released, the greatest portable power stations have advanced significantly and lessened the need for fuel-powered generators.
Portable power stations are our perfect go-to solution when we need to amp up our devices when we are on the move. With so many battery power banks available, you might not know what to look for when purchasing one, though. Learn why portable power stations are essential and what to look for in the following complete guide.
A portable power station is a great choice to take into consideration even though it is not the same as a large-scale generator.
- Camping - When you go camping, it might be challenging to locate charging stations, especially if you aren't utilizing a camper or an RV. In these circumstances, having a portable power station is a good thing to have with you. For instance, you might use your RV's air conditioner throughout the summer. It is common knowledge that air conditioners consume a significant amount of electricity and might strain your RV's electrical system.
- Traveling on the road - A portable power source is a crucial component of your car's emergency kit. You can recharge your phone, laptop, or all your electronics on the go with a portable power station easily.
- Emergency situations - You can utilize a portable power station if you lose power at home and need light or specific electrical appliances.
- Rechargeable and green - Portable power stations are rechargeable, either by solar or electricity, which is environment friendly rather than gasoline.
- Size - Since many portable power sources are compact, they can be used in a variety of settings. They will fit in a truck, RV, or automobile. They can be kept until needed in compact spaces. Portable power sources can be employed in a variety of settings.
What to look for when buying a power station?
- Price- How much you are willing to spend on a portable power station is the first thing you need to decide. You can buy less expensive, lower capacity portable power stations for about $150, and more expensive, fully equipped ones for about $2000, depending on your usage.
- Specifications- You should look for a portable power station with a high Wh capacity if you want it to last longer. You must select a device with a greater Watt rating if you wish to plug in several gadgets at once.
- Features- There are various features on portable power stations that you might or might not want. Make sure your device has that feature that you need. For example, if you need one with a USB option, make sure your power station has that feature.
- Size and weight- Although they come in a variety of sizes, portable power stations are all going to be tiny in comparison to a full-size generator. Some mobile power units are not really mobile. For instance, you'll want the lightest option if you're backpacking.
Extra Features Available with Power Stations:
Wall Outlets- Many power stations come with wall outlets so that multiple devices can be charged at one go.
USB Ports- Multiple USB ports with different kinds like USB 2 and USB 3 are available.
Cigarette Lighter Outlet- This feature is not available with all portable power chargers, though some do.
Flashlight- Some will come equipped with a flashlight feature, which is quite helpful in an emergency.
Solar Panel Input- A power station with a solar panel would be useful to help charge using solar energy.
Car Battery Jumper Cables- A very useful feature to be incorporated with a power station, especially when you are traveling via road.
Here is a compilation of some of the best and most reliable portable power stations you should look at, let’s go shopping!
- Aviva L780 Portable Power Station - A solid machine with 786 Watts of Lithium energy storage, this power station is the perfect mobile power source for off-grid and play. A reliable and safe power backup, the Aviva L780 is lightweight and is ideal to charge your home essentials like laptop, TV, mini-fridge, lights and fan. Three charging options are available with the multipurpose transportable power station. Recharge using a 110 V AC converter (10 hours), a 12 V carport (10 hours), or an optional 100 W solar panel (10 hours) (approximately 17 hours; solar panel not included). The high-capacity unit can power your gadgets at 500 W continuous power and 2500 W peak.
- Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Power Station - One of the most compact and smallest power stations available on the market, the Jackery Explorer 500 makes an ideal companion for RV camping and long drives. There are numerous outlets and USB ports on the Explorer 500 where you can connect multiple smaller gadgets at once. This is advantageous in the event of a power outage or a natural disaster. You can charge many mobile devices at once whenever you need to. It can be charged using solar panels, and the inclusion of and integrated LED flashlight is an incredible additional bonus. With a capacity of 518 Wh, the Jackery Explorer is suitable for leisure and recreational use.
- Ecoflow Delta Mini Power Station - The smallest product made by Ecoflow is the DELTA tiny Power Station. Whenever a power source is required, you will be able to store it, charge it, and take it with you—especially if you're in an area without a wall outlet! The output of 1400W, which can be increased to 1800W with X-Boost technology, will enable you to power the majority of appliances, including a refrigerator, an oven, a microwave, etc. Additionally, DELTA Mini can charge up to 12 devices at once. DELTA mini charges 3 to 4 times faster than other portable power sources when X-Stream is on. The EcoFlow app displays how much solar energy you're producing as well as how many watts your mini-fridge and slow cooker are using. You can control it from anywhere if you connect it to the internet.
- Bluetti AC 200 Max Portable Power Station - The Bluetti AC 200 Max is a small portable power station with a whopping 2,200W full power sine wave inverter and a massive 2048Wh capacity. It has a fast solar and AC charging option and has 16 outlets that can run most of your electronic appliances such as grill, blender, hair drier, mini fridge, projectors, radios, and much more. Rely completely on the Bluetti AC200 Max for a continuous and credible power supply throughout your outdoor adventure.
- Lipopower 300W Portable Power Station P300 - A lightweight and compact power station, the Lipopower P300 is perfect for outdoor RV camping, hunting, fishing, power outages, emergency, and as a complete home back up for all electrical appliances. With a huge capacity of 1100 Wh, the P300 is noiseless yet powerful and comes with 10 multi-functional outlets that include 3 x USB A port, 1 x USB C Port, 2 x 12V DC Port, 1 x 13V car charging port, and 3 x 110V Pure SINE Wave AC outlets. It can be recharged in 4 ways: AC wall outlet (8-10 hours), Solar panels (5-7 hours for a full charge; sold separately), Car outlet (12-15 hours), Generator (9-12 hours for full charge).
Good things come in small packages and portable power stations are indeed a must-have gadget that is highly useful whether you want to power up your home appliances in case of power breakout or take it outdoor during travel. The durability of a power station depends on three factors: maintenance, usage, and the battery type. They are mainly designed to power smaller electronic devices and appliances, and the watt-hours determine the power of the machine.
Choose your right power station based on the following:
- Right capacity
- Longer-lasting batteries (battery run-time)
- Number of ports
- Look and feel
The power stations safely store energy and deliver electricity, which frequently results in quick charging times. Digital screens, for example, can display input and output, and our software enables remote energy control and tracking.
Making a detailed list of the equipment you'd like to keep running during an outage is the best method to assess your emergency power demands. Once you've compiled a list of your gadgets, sum up their voltage and wattages to determine the least amount of output your battery backup system needs to have. Maximize the use of your equipment with the use of your power station so that your electrical gadgets can be utilized to the maximum.